What’s included in this module?
Aims & Objectives
These lessons will challenge learners to engage with concepts and ideas surrounding civil society and the role that civic participation plays in creating meaningful socio-environmental change. This concept is engaged within the lens of climate change in aiming to explore the role of civic structures and participation has in the movement to a more sustainable future. Based off, and designed to speak to the Not on Our Soil Docuseries, these lessons aim to draw immediate links between the complex environmental and social relationships relayed in the docuseries episode.
What you will learn
- Lesson 1 | Immerse Immersion in the topic of a Civil Society in relation to the South African context. Here, learners will make personal associations with the concepts relayed in the module to set a foundation for further understanding in upcoming lessons.
- Lesson 2 | Understand Building upon the foundational knowledge created in lesson one, learners further their understanding of the topic by exploring how the concepts are realised in the documentary episode, Civil Society.
- Lesson 3 | Perspectives Using the conceptual and foundational knowledge created in lessons one and two, learners are now challenged to create an appeal letter in which they are encouraged to be active citizens standing against a pertinent externality/issue in their community.
- Lesson 4 | Empower Learners are empowered by their sense of civic participation and involvement as they complete final touches on their appeal letter which is directed at a member of state or a particular government structure.
Core concepts in this module
- Civil society and civic participation
- Democracy and the Constitution of South Africa
- Human and Environmental rights
- Social and environmental impact
- Externalities and the impacts they have
- Municipal and governmental structures
- Constructing an appeal letter to a member of government or a local governing body
|Grade | Ages||Grade 10-11 | 15-17 years|
|CAPS Subject||Life Orientation|
|Grade 10 alignment||Life Orientation: Grade 10; Term 2: Social and environmental responsibility
|Grade 11 alignment||Life Orientation: Grade 11; Term 2: Democracy and Human Rights
Life Orientation: Grade 11; Term 2: Social and environmental responsibility