What’s included in this module?
Aims & Objectives
These lessons will challenge learners to think critically about their understanding of the concept and role of community in the context of South Africa’s sustainable development journey. Embracing the complexity of social, economic and environmental factors in any discussion around sustainable development, learners are exposed to the uniqueness of the South African story in which the idea of sustainability may be differently realised between various contexts. In an attempt to raise awareness around a plethora of socio-environmental challenges to communities, learners are set to create an informative poster to share relevant information on both the issue and available solutions or organisations contributing towards solutions.
What you will learn
- Lesson 1 | Immerse This first lesson will introduce learners to the core concepts relayed in this module and challenge learners to start thinking differently about the concept of community in a South African context.
- Lesson 2 | Understand This lesson builds upon the foundational knowledge set in lesson 1 in an attempt to facilitate the link between social, economic and environmental factors in discussions around the sustainable development of communities in South Africa
- Lesson 3 | Perspectives Learners get active in this lesson as they identify specific and relevant needs and injustices present in their own communities in an attempt to create an informative poster which creates wide-spread awareness within communities on both the issues and available solutions.
- Lesson 4 | Empower Learners are empowered by their sense of awareness creation and knowledge around the complexity of sustainable development within their communities as they apply the finishing touches to their community awareness poster.
Core concepts in this module
- Social and environmental justice
- Sustainable development and the Sustainable Development Goals
- Inequality in South Africa
- Relationship between social, economic and environmental factors
- Climate change and climate change impacts
- Community-led organisations
- Community development
- Social and community responsibilities in adapting to climate change
|Grade | Ages||Grade 10-11 | 15-17 years|
|CAPS Subject||Life Orientation|
|Grade 10 alignment||Life Orientation: Grade 10; Term 2: Social and environmental responsibility
|Grade 11 alignment||Life Orientation: Grade 11; Term 2: Social and environmental responsibility