What’s included in this module?
|Teacher resources||4 x lesson plans|
1 x presentation
2 x teachers notes
|Learner resources||5 x worksheets|
8 x supporting resources
|Projects – experiments||1 x audit|
Module key questions
- How does our school compare to other schools around the world in terms of the healthfulness of the food served to students and staff?
- Do our school’s policies consider the environmental impact of the food purchased for the cafeteria, such as the amount of packaging used and whether the food was grown using sustainable methods?
- How much of the food served in our school is grown locally?
- How knowledgeable are members of our school community about the connections between academic performance and eating nutritious food?
- What can we do collectively to reduce food waste on campus?
- Can students conducting a food eco-audit truly help improve the school?
- What key strategies can we use to implement our food-policy suggestions on campus?
- How does an eco-audit create opportunities for leadership and citizenship?
|Grade | Ages||Grade 10-11 | 15-17 years|
|CAPS subject||Life Orientation (most applicable)|
Social and Environmental Responsibility
|Sub-topics||Environmental issues that cause ill-health: Assessing our food and where it comes from|
This Module includes:
- Aligned content: This content is aligned with: Curriculum Assessment Policy Statements (CAPS) and the Independent Examinations Board (IEB). A key aspect of these modules is their flexibility and customisation across curricula, such as Cambridge and Steiner/Waldorf Education.
- A range of teaching strategies, skills, and knowledge: The flow of the module has been structured using Project-Based Learning and Design Thinking frameworks. A variety of pedagogical approaches are present between and within each lesson. Learners are challenged theoretically and practically through project and problem-based inquiry of real-world issues.
- Sustainable Development Goals: Each lesson is aligned to an appropriate United Nation Sustainable Development Goal(s).